Thursday, February 23, 2012

Restaurants hiring in chicago?

hello im 26 and am looking to move to chicago. ive been in the restaurant biz for 6 yrs now and also graduated from culinary school. im having a difficult time trying to find out what restaurants, other than various chain restaurants. are hiring. can anyone point me in the right direction?Restaurants hiring in chicago?
Right now is a tough time to find a job, partly because of the economy, but also because it's the slow season...summer's over and things won't start to pick up again until after Thanksgiving and the holiday season.



I've found the best way to find a job in this business is to do it the old fashioned way...pound the pavement. If you're looking for more of a fine dining restaurant, you might want to go to the Zagat website and look for the best restaurants in Chicago. You can also go to Chicago Magazine's website and look up the reader's choice awarded restaurants. Another place to narrow down your choices is to go to Yelp.com, metromix.com or cityguide.com and check out the reader reviews and/or menus. That will help you determine if the restaurant is a hash house or a place that will challenge your culinary skills.



Once you've done your research, call each restaurant and ask if you can fax or email them your resume. Even if they say they're hiring...just send in your resume. Then plan a trip to Chicago and go knocking on doors. Follow up with a phone call to make sure they got your resume and tell them when you'll be in town and ask if you can meet with the manager, chef or whoever you'd be interviewing with.



When I lost my job as a waitress I went through the phone book and wrote down all the restaurants where I wanted to work. Then I divided them up into quatrants of the city. Day one, I went downtown and applied at every restaurant on my list whether they were hiring or not. Day two, I spent the morning in the south part of the city and applied to all the restaurants there, then spent the afternoon calling all the restaurants I had applied to the day before and arranging interviews. Day three, I hit the west side of the city, and spent the afternoon calling all the restaurants I'd applied to on the south side...and so on and so on. It took me less than 2 weeks to find a job, and it was a better restaurant that the one I'd gotten fired from.Restaurants hiring in chicago?
sdfgsdfgsdg

No comments:

Post a Comment